Sunday, December 16, 2012

Spaghetti Squash 101


If you asked me what my favorite vegetable ever was...well, I don’t know if I could answer that. However, the spaghetti squash would definitely be a top contender! I personally tend to be a grazer. I prefer to eat more, with less caloric density, than have a small portion of something with a much larger amount of calories etc. This is why spaghetti squash and I are a match made in heaven. This squash comes out string-like, resembling spaghetti. However, nutritionally the two are worlds apart. For example, according to Livestrong.com, one cup of spaghetti squash can be enjoyed for a measly 42 calories with 10g of carbohydrate. It also offers small amounts(which can add up!) of various vitamins and minerals. On the other hand, one cup of spaghetti averages around 220 calories with 43g of carbohydrate. Which can I enjoy more of without getting too full too fast?? You tell me. Not to mention spaghetti squash is absolutely delicious and, like pasta, can take on any flavor you’d like.

Spaghetti squash is one of my main go- tos as a college student. It’s super easy to prepare, and makes a huge batch which lasts a while in the fridge. Sometimes I’ll enjoy it as is. I often throw it into my salads to give them more texture (combined with a mustard/olive oil dressing…mmm delish!). You can pair it with tomato sauce or diced tomatoes, pesto, salsa, Italian spices… you name it. 

Okay, I think this may be my favorite vegetable after all.

Follow these simple instructions and you’re on your way to enjoying guilt free spaghetti!

1. Buy yourself a lovely spaghetti squash and bring it home. They are bright yellow and oval-ish.

2. Preheat the oven to 375. Then rinse off the squash. Using a large, sharp, knife, split the squash vertically in two.

3. Scoop out the seeds, as if you were scooping out a pumpkin. I find that it helps to cut around the edges of the fleshy area to loosen up the seeds. Then I use an ice cream scoop to get all of the loose flesh/pulp out. It helps to bring your trashcan next to you for this part (makes clean up easier)!

4. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil onto the inside of the squash. Taking a paper towel, rub the oil evenly around/into the squash. You want there to just be a light covering of oil for roasting, making sure to soak up any extra oil with your paper towel. 

5. Sprinkle your squash with a little salt and pepper. 

6. Place the squash upside down on either a cookie sheet with foil, or on a baking stone. 

7. Bake for 45-60 minutes. I usually check my squash after 45 to see where it is. You want the inside to be tender and sizzling. Try pulling a small amount of flesh out with a fork, it should be tender. Exact timing is not important here; just make sure to keep an eye on it. Like the quinoa recipe, this is fairly difficult to mess up.

8. Turn the squash right-side up with a spatula (it will be hot!). Let it cool for several minutes.

9. Using a fork, scrape the squash out of its skin. Make sure to get all of it! When you’re done you want to see the white part of the skin. Trust me. You will be very sad if you don’t get to enjoy every morsel. 

10. Enjoy being creative with all you can do with your new favorite vegetable! 


Here is an example of a typical college night meal for me. Notice the squash with diced tomatoes! The best part is, after this labor of love of roasting the squash; it makes a very easily re-heatable side for days to come! Bon appetite! 


Be Well.

Love, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment