Sunday, December 23, 2012

Loco for Cocoa

Pardon me if my posts are a little less frequent in the next few days with all of the family festivities! I do plan on sharing my healthy Christmas menu and other fun things in the next few days though! In the mean time, I figured I'd share my latest hot cocoa experiment.

Tonight I was in the mood for a warm drink. Frankly, I was getting sick of coffee and just needed some chocolatey goodness. Unfortunately, since I've gone plant-based etc, a lot of hot cocoa mixes no longer fit the bill. First of all, it's often a lot of calories for a drink(you know my philosophy, calories are for eating not drinking). Second of all, most packaged hot cocoa has powdered milk in it. So, with a few ideas I picked up from the internet/my cocoa carton, I gave healthy hot cocoa a whirl! It was actually pretty tasty. Here's what I did:

- Took 2 tablespoon's of unsweetened cocoa. (Only 20 calories).
- Added boiling water
-Added 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
-Added one stevia in the raw packet (zero cal)
- Added a splash of french vanilla soy creamer.

It was yummy! For a rich, chocolatey drink I suggest trying something along the lines of this. I feel like it would be great made with vanilla soy or almond milk as well. That would definitely give a thicker, creamier texture. It's all up to personal preference. Use this as a guide, play with it, and see which combinations you like!

Have a very Merry Christmas Eve!

Be Well.

Love, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment