Saturday, December 15, 2012

Lessons from Zumba


            I’ve always been one who wants to get all of the certifications/expertise I can about areas that spark my interest. The first (and least expensive) thing I was able to do is become a certified Zumba instructor! I was the first Zumba instructor at Wake Forest, and then became a core member of the UM group exercise team when I transferred. My Zumba career lasted about two years before I decided to step away from teaching, and taught me many lessons along the way.

1. When it comes to working out, you get out of it what you put into it.-
 Zumba is a trademarked class that provides a lot of standard choreography etc. However, it is also a genre of group fitness that gives teachers a ton of freedom. Instructors are able to choose their songs, sequences, and intensity. What we learned in our certification is that the company likes 60-70% of the class to be pure Zumba material, and the rest is up to you! What results from this is that one’s experience in class depends very much on the instructor.

Well, I became known as the super energetic, bouncy, crazy teacher (luckily, in a good way). I would often hear from students about how with other instructors, they would take an hour class and then be able to do another cardio kickboxing or something. They quickly learned that that would not work with me. My philosophy was (and is), that if you dedicate an hour to doing something, you should make the most of that time and reap its full rewards, not have to do a whole extra hour to get what you want. There is no way you should be able to do two crazy cardio classes back to back. Something is wrong. You are not working hard enough. So, my classes became high energy and high in intensity. We would sweat, a lot, while often times looking completely ridiculous doing crazy Zumba moves. Not everyone always made it all the way through. But at least they knew their body was working hard! I would always tell my students, give it your absolute 100%. If you need a water break, that’s ok. If you need to just mark the moves, that’s ok too. But don’t walk out feeling like you have energy to spare. If you put in a moderate amount of effort, you’ll get moderate rewards. Give it all you got, and you’ll walk out stronger, tougher, and with a wonderful sense of pride and accomplishment.

2. Smiles and Positivity go a long way.
                My favorite part of being an instructor was being a positive motivating force, inspiring others to enjoy taking care of themselves. This involved tons of smiling and words of encouragement, even in the midst of serious (and at times painful) cardio. I loved getting to know my regulars and hearing about how they loved the energy of the class. One of the greatest compliments I ever received was hearing I had been the inspiration for one of my students to get her teaching certification as well. As I continue on with my life, I carry with me these lessons on how to be a good role model and example for something I’m passionate about. In whatever you do, always smile and shed love on those you are hoping to inspire. Lead by example and make them want to share your secrets! No one wants to know more about people who seem too high on their horse or judgmental!

3. Sometimes you need to let things go * I think this is the most important* .
               I taught during the school year, sometimes once a week, sometimes twice, depending on the semester. With school work, and an increasingly busy college schedule, things began to become stressful. Teaching was like taking on another full class. It required many hours of outside work, putting together choreography …memorizing routines etc. Zumba began to be more of a source of stress than enjoyment. Things worsened when I began to struggle with anemia. My body would go in and out of periods of fatigue, which simply did not work when I had a pre-set time that I had to perform at 100% each week. Sometimes I wouldn’t feel great, resulting in days where I had to seriously push through class ( a little scary). My heart gradually started not to be in it anymore. The anxiety overshadowed the previous joy.
                
              I’ve never been a quitter. As a child I was always taught to stick to my commitments, and finish what I started. However, one day, when things were not going so well, I heard a remark by Chalene Johnson. She spoke about cutting out everything that caused anxiety in your life . She indicated how things like this are detrimental to our well-being, and if they're optional, should be put aside. What is the point of wasting our energy on things that do not make us happy? This seriously spoke to me. Although I had enjoyed teaching in the past, and had such fun being a motivator to others, things had changed. It was time to let Zumba go. I stopped teaching, and was able to focus on me and my own needs. Yes, I lost that income; but I gained back my sanity. Ever since, I have learned to filter my commitments, making sure not to over-exert myself to the point of a mild mental break down. I now only engage in things that I can put my full effort into, and that bring me joy. Take a look at your life. Are you compromising your inner-calm for anything? Is it worth it?
               
             Be Well.              
                 
                 Love, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment