Monday, December 10, 2012

My journey so far

         Before overwhelming everyone with all of the random wellness knowledge I have, I figure I should share where I am coming from. 


 
This is me about two years ago, and is a good representation of where I was up until about a year ago. In no way did I think I was out of shape or anything at the time, but I always was striving to be better. For me, the more in shape I am the better I feel about myself, and the more confidence I have. So, for a few years now, I have been on a never ending journey towards greater health and well-being, in attempt to be the best version of myself. It started focused mainly on exercise, then branched into nutrition, and is now expanding into spiritual/emotional/social well-being as well.

Here I am today. Pretty big difference huh? I am so happy with how far I’ve come and how I truly have transformed into an even better me! It’s safe to say I’m in far better shape than I even was in in high school. How did I do this? I will share just the basics…as this blog eventually will contain all the details.

Part One: Exercise
               
 I have always been active. I was a three sport captain in High School, and danced most of my life as well. When I finished my dance career and stopped playing sports, I had to learn how to keep active with a college lifestyle. At first, it was me and the elliptical, best friends forever. However, I soon noticed, that for a half hour a day wasn’t exactly cutting it. So, I gathered up all of my courage and wandered into the weight section (aka where all the guys are) and implemented strength training into my program every other day.

Ladies, you need to lift weights! It gives you all of the toning you ever wanted, stops all the jiggling, and boosts your metabolism. I have been using Chalene Johnson’s “Chalean Extreme”, for a weight training regimen for years now. I highly recommend it! (More on why Chalene is my hero in another post).

To summarize, as I left the classic activities of high school, the importance of exercise at least 5 days a week became super significant. Why not work that body whenever you can, however you can? Today, I try fitting a workout in everyday, so that if something comes up and I need a break, it’s not a big deal. It will make you feel better and more energized, guaranteed. For a very long time, I have been alternating days of kickboxing through Chalene Johnson’s “Turbo Fire” and lifting with “Chalene Extreme”, throwing abs in wherever I can of course. Just recently, I have discovered Bikram yoga, and am doing a little trial period to see how I maintain my results with a different combination involving more Bikram! The key is…make a commitment to yourself to be dedicated to a regular workout schedule. What’s the best way to do this? Find something you absolutely love to do!

Part Two: Diet

Back to my first year of college, I was doing all of this exercise, but nothing much was really changing. I started to realize that having huge portions at the dining hall with a few cookies at every meal was not happening. It probably didn’t help that until about half way through my freshman year, I hated fruits and vegetables (my palate was a late bloomer). My main food groups were meat, dairy, carbs, and chocolate.
Somewhere I read that how in shape you are depends 25% on exercise and 75% on diet. This really spoke to me, and ever since I have been working to make better choices. It started out by limiting the sweets, cheeses, pastas, refined grains etc. Then I got to a point where I really was limiting my grains and barely ever having dessert, focusing more on fruit and yogurt for snacks. The more research I did, the more I cut out processed foods and things heavy in butter and sugar. I found I made a lot of progress with fewer grains…but it was challenging for me. I love carbs! Enter “Forks Over Knives”, the documentary that forever changed my life.  This film covers the benefits of a whole foods, plant based diet, and links meat, dairy, and processed foods to all sorts of chronic ailments, from obesity to cancer. I’m the type of person who, when presented with that kind of information, cannot help but be seriously affected by it. Four days later I was completely plant-based and have been for the past seven and a half months. Eating light and whole foods has made me feel absolutely amazing, and the best part…now that I have cut out meat and dairy (two huge sources of saturated fat) I CAN EAT MORE WHOLE GRAINS AND CARBS! This change is what really has brought my health to a peak. Thanks to this diet, I am fueled 100% by great nutrients and have more energy and stamina than ever before (more to come on this too!).

Part Three: Spirituality/Emotional health

With all of the health blogs I read, I began to become more in tune with my spiritual and emotional well-being. I began learning from the teachings of Deepak Chopra and really started to focus on relaxation and positivity. I am currently in the midst of trying to establish a regular meditation practice, and always am trying to have a positive outlook on life. 

Ok, so that’s the background to this whole blog in a nutshell! In the past few years I have learned so much and am living a much better life because of it. By reading this blog, I hope you realize you can do this too!  You can become the best version of yourself. I’m excited to share all the random information in my head, and to continue learning and growing more!

Be Well.

Love, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment