Wednesday, February 6, 2013

How to make the perfect salad


People always seem comforted when they decide to order or make themselves a salad. “It’s super healthy”, they think. Sometimes this is true. However, a lot of the time, people make their salads just as unhealthy, or even more so, than the sandwich or other meal they forewent. I must confess, at one time I was guilty of this. I assumed having a Chicken Caesar salad was a great option, while in reality I was consuming a ton of extra fat and calories. For example, Panera’s Caesar salad dressing has 160 calories, 140 of which come from fat. Some restaurants are better, and some are much worse. Luckily, I saw the light and learned how to make salads a truly healthy and nutritious part of my day. Here are some tips on how to make an amazing, delicious, and guilt- free salad!

1. Start with a ton of dark, leafy greens, like spinach! Dark, leafy greens are full of vitamins and minerals like beta carotene, vitamin c, iron ,potassium, vitamin k, and more! It is controversial whether iceberg lettuce is truly less nutritious. I prefer to play it safe and go with the stuff I know is good!

2. Add one good source of protein- I love to go with beans or maybe even some quinoa. This is the main source of calories in my salads. Stick with one serving of whatever protein you prefer, to keep with a normal calorie count. Do you really need chicken, beans, and walnuts?

3. Throw in some veggies, or even fruit! – Fruits and veggies add volume and nutrients to your meal without a ton of fat or calories! I love to put in any of the following … Spaghetti squash, tomatoes, peppers, onions, beets, shredded carrots, mushrooms, artichokes, mandarin oranges, avocado, strawberries, zucchini and more!

4. Know what to avoid- What is the point of having a “healthy salad” if you throw bread and cheese all over it? One cup of croutons can add anywhere from 90 to well over 100 calories to your salad. The worst part is that usually these are white croutons, made from refined flour, offering zero nutritional value, and sending your sugar levels into a frenzy. Cheese also adds an unnecessary addition of fat to your salad. Learn to simplify. Leaving out little things like this can make a big difference in the long run.

5. Most importantly, pick the right dressing! Ever wonder how the calorie load of salads seems ridiculously high? The main culprit is most always the dressing. For example, the ranch dressing I found in my fridge is 140 calories per 2 tablespoons, with 130 calories coming from fat. Now one may argue, that olive oil has a very similar profile. The difference comes in the ingredients. Olive oil is a pure ingredient. You know what you’re consuming here. In contrast, the ranch has soybean oil, buttermilk, disodium phosphate, sorbic acid, modified food starch, and a ton of other ingredients I can’t pronounce. Another dressing I found in my fridge was a lighter Raspberry Vinaigrette. This seems like a healthier choice maybe, but upon further inspection it contains high fructose corn syrup!

The best thing to do for salads, including its dressings, is to stick to pure whole ingredients. Don’t go putting anything in there that you can’t pronounce! (Ok that’s a pretty basic rule for all of your nutrition decisions, but it’s super easy with salads!). So, what does that leave you with for dressing? Here are some of my favorites!

Olive oil( just a light drizzle)

Olive oil combined with mustard (any kind of mustard, gives you a super creamy taste without the fat and calories from the eggs and milk in a Caesar or ranch etc!)

Balsamic Vinegar

Red Wine Vinegar (vinegars have zero cals usually!)

Salsa! (very low cal)

Lemon or lime juice

While out to eat, just ask for some oil and vinegar on the side instead of whatever normal dressing they are planning to give you. All you need is a light coating of whatever you choose for a little moisture and flavor! Add some pepper, and poof…you have a super delicious, guilt free, nutritious meal!

A typical lunch for me is a salad with beans, squash, tomato, spinach, onion, mustard, a little olive oil, and pepper! I accompany this with a low cal whole wheat tortilla and maybe some fruit, and know I am providing myself with light, energizing, and awesome fuel that will help me power through my day!

What does your salad usually look like? Could you make a few changes? Cut out anything unnecessary and make your “healthy meal” even better!   

Be Well.

Love, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment