Saturday, January 26, 2013

Yay for 5ks !!!!

So you may notice my new schedule...crazy crazy weeks, time on the weekends...

Better late than never right?!

Anyway, today I ran my very first 5k and it was so so so much fun! Like I have mentioned in previous posts , I am NOT a runner. In fact, I haven't run since I've been back into Miami until today. Yet, my crazy kickboxing keeps me in killer cardio shape.

Last year, my mom did the PUBLIX Tropical 5k here in Miami. This year, I decided to join her, and my aunt is running the half marathon tomorrow (putting us both to shame)! So, it's been a lovely and fabulous girls weekend of fitness in South Beach.

Yesterday, we went to register at the Health and Fitness Expo for the weekend. It was like a dream come true. Me and a huge room of fitness company booths. Love. Except we got there super late and only had a few minutes. But, in those few minutes I did get to stop at the VEGA BOOTH where I obviously rambled on about how huge of a fan I am, and how I drink Vega one every morning, eat Vega Vibrancy Bars, and have read Brendan's book! Let me tell you, expressing your love for a brand pays off. I left with a free VEGA Sport running shirt (that they weren't just giving out), which I wore for my race today!


 

The race started at 7:30 and we were at the start line by 7am. I haven't been up that early in ages! However, it was definitely worth it. The race took us by the port of Miami and all of the beautiful cruise ships and then along south beach, near my family's home. It was a little tricky starting because I had to weave through so many people, but once I got going it was fabulous! I kept a solid pace, going as hard as I could for that distance and was able to sprint to the finish.

 

And I got THIRD PLACE IN MY AGE GROUP without really trying!

...There obviously were not a lot of people in my age group.

 

Regardless, it was a super fun surprise that I did not expect, and I got not one medal, but two! I'm so happy I pushed myself to do this race. I could have very easily have chosen to go out with friends last night and passed up on it. But, today I learned how much fun it is to be part of a big crowd and a big fitness event! The energy is incredible. People dress up like crazy and dance and route you on. Also, there was a great little party at the end. So much fun!

Whether it is a 5k, a 3k, a spinathon, a zumbathon, an anything-athon...I truly encourage you to find an event like this that can get you excited about fitness, and that recognizes and encourages your effort! You will love it!

Be Well.

Love, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment