Saturday, September 7, 2013

Two super easy, super healthy recipes!

Happy Saturday Everyone! I hope you are enjoying a restful and relaxing weekend. You deserve it! Today I wanted to share with you two super yummy, super easy recipes I've enjoyed lately. Before I do though, make sure to follow me on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates/ fun wellness stuff! @JMartinez621 and https://www.facebook.com/BeWellLoveJulie  .

Ok, now for the deliciousness! This first recipe was inspired by a Tara Stiles Video (aka  it is basically the same, but I didn't have actual curry sauce- which actually probably makes this version lighter) So, credit to her! Yes, she is my new favorite person. I just read Yoga Cures on my kindle, and it was amazing. Simple, eye opening, life changing. I'll have to do another book list soon!

Curried Rice and Lentils with Veggies ! 




You'll need: 
- A lentils and rice mixture, or any grain of your choice. I did a medley of brown rice, wild rice, and lentils from whole foods
- Vegetable broth
- Earth Balance, olive oil, or a non-stick cooking spray
-Orange Bell Pepper 
-Red Onion
-Celery
-Greens of your choice 
-Any other veggies you desire/ would like to substitute with 
- Curry Powder
- Chilli Powder
- Ground Tumeric 
-Salt and Pepper

As usual, my recipes are more like guidelines. I'm not a professional chef, and everyone's appliances and tastes are different. Alter this as necessary to make it work for you, choosing the correct amount of ingredients for your portion size!

1. Prepare grains per package instructions. I like to use vegetable broth instead of water to give it more flavor. Make a big batch and save leftovers for later in the week! I use a half cup as one serving 
2. Heat a large pan on medium high heat, add a tablespoon or so of Earth Balance (or other choice). Just enough to add some flavor without adding mega calories. 
3. Chop onions and add them to the pan.
4. Do the same with the peppers and celery. 
5. Let these sauté a while until they are nice and soft.
 6. Once the veggies are at their desired texture, turn down the heat a little bit and add grains. 


7. Add a pinch of curry powder, chilli powder, and ground tumeric. Add any more depending on your tastes. 
8. Add the greens, sauté until everything is nice and warm. 
9. Salt and pepper/ season more to taste
10. Enjoy this nutritious and flavorful meal! 

Lemon Pepper Zucchini with Quinoa and Marinara Sauce 

This one is something I just whipped up on my own with random pre-made things I had in my fridge. I love making lemon pepper zucchini and having it ready to throw into any recipe. Also, having a good quality marinara sauce is a wonderful way to easily add flavor to any meal. I like Whole Foods 365 and search for types with no crazy ingredients. I apologize for the messy plating! It didn't occur to me that I should blog about this when I took the picture!


What you'll need: 
- Quinoa
-Vegetable Broth
-Zucchini
-Fresh Garlic
-Greens of Choice
-Marinara Sauce
-Olive Oil
-Lemon Pepper Seasoning
-Italian Seasoning
-Fresh Lemon Juice
-Salt and Pepper 

1. Prepare quinoa per instructions with vegetable broth. 
2. Chop up a few gloves of garlic, depending on portion size
3. In large pan, heat a small amount of olive oil (again, just enough for flavor) and garlic. Use a medium heat so things don't burn! 
4. Meanwhile, chop up zucchini and add to the pan 
5. Sauté zucchini on medium high heat, adding lemon pepper and italian seasoning as desired per your taste. 
6. Squeeze in a little bit of juice from a lemon and continue to sauté zucchini until it reaches desired texture. 
7. Salt and Pepper to taste.
8. Reduce heat and portion out the amount you would like to save as left overs. 
9. To the amount remaining in pan, add quinoa, greens, and marinara sauce. 
10. Stir until everything is warm and delicious
11. Enjoy! 

I also make this by throwing all the left over components into a bowl and microwaving! Do whatever works for you that day =) 

I hope you enjoy these quick and easy recipes! They are simple, and full of whole, nutritious, satisfying ingredients. Why bother with anything else? As I'm sure you can tell, there is an easy formula behind these two recipes. Grain, veggie, greens, seasoning. What other combos can you come up with? Experiment with your favorite flavors! Mexican, Asian, Mediterranean? The possibilities are endless. I'll continue to post anything I find extra easy and delicious! 

Be Well.

Love, Julie




No comments:

Post a Comment